First Lutheran School History
First Lutheran School was first organized in 1859 by Pastor Fachtmann, our first Pastor, who maintained it for 7 years before the first teacher was hired. Remaining as a Christian day school since its inception, our school blossomed from only a few pupils to a record enrollment of 295 students set in 1961. In recent years, our school has maintained a fairly stable enrollment from about 150-160 students.
The first schoolhouse which also served as the church was located on Fourth Street near Market Square. In April of 1860 a Methodist church building was purchased and moved to the corner of 5th and Jay Street. It was moved again in the spring of 1864 to the corner of 5th and Cass while still remaining as the church and school. This building was moved one last time to the rear of the lot in 1869 where it functioned as the school until 1880.
In 1909 a four classroom building was built on the present day location at 520 West Avenue where it served until the construction of an eight classroom, 3-level facility. The old building was converted into a gymnasium and the cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1951. In 2002, the Lord blessed us again, with another major expansion. A computer lab and library, two classrooms, a tutoring room, and a meeting room were added on to the south end of our 1951 addition. To the west of our old gymnasium, a large multi-purpose gymnasium and lobby were constructed. Additionally, the entire school received many upgrades and facelifts, including an elevator that makes the entire facility handicap accessible. We praise God for His wonderful blessings, and pray that they be used to His glory.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life." JOHN 3:16